Maybe tomato is one of the most versatile foods in the kitchen, for its taste, texture and how delicious it is. Tomatoes can be found during all seasons of the year.
We tell you what its greatest properties are and what the benefits it brings.
Tomatoes can be eaten in salads, make cold, hot tomato soups, create a background of so Frito, in sauce, take it raw or in the compote.
It is a healthy food and can be consumed without remorse if we are thinking of doing a weight loss diet to lose a few kilos. It has low caloric value, it does not contribute fats and it is a very easy food to find in the market. Although we advise buying seasonal and quality tomatoes, since the flavor they can offer is much better.
Nutritional properties of tomato
The tomato has in its interior certain nutritional values that are what later help the organism to feel healthier:
- Vitamins A, group B, C, and K.
- Minerals: Phosphorus, calcium, zinc, magnesium, potassium, sodium, manganese.
- Substances: lycopene and bioflavonoids.
- It is a food rich in antioxidants.
- It contributes 17 calories per 100 grams of product.
- It does not contain cholesterol.
- Proteins 1.1 grams.
- The little amount of fat, which makes it a perfect food to combine in a large number of dishes.
Benefits of tomato
As we have seen, a tomato is rich in a large number of minerals, vitamins, and antioxidants. Its characteristic red color is due to lycopene, an antioxidant substance that protects the body from free radicals and keeps us from suffering from cardiac problems.
The tomato is a vegetable with low levels of sodium, so people with hypertension or high blood pressure can consume it without problems. It is a food that helps us to carry out digestion due to its content in organic acids, citrates, and malate.
To fully benefit from their properties, we must consume them raw and with skin, because that is how we will enjoy their benefits.
- It is rich in fiber; consume it with skin to help your digestive system to regulate itself.
- It provides a large number of B vitamins, vitamin C, E and A. In addition to the minerals mentioned above.
- It is good to lose weight, it is a food that satisfies and leaves us feeling full.
- It prevents the premature death of cells, which keeps premature aging of the organism at bay.
- It helps reduce cholesterol.
- It eliminates the accumulated uric acid in the body.
- Relieves pain in the joints.
- Improve our immune system
- It is beneficial to improve the condition of people suffering from osteoarthritis or arthritis.
Varieties of tomato
Surely you will know and know different breeds of tomatoes, all of them have similar characteristics, and however, their flavor, color, and aroma can vary from one to another. Then we tell you which are the most common or which you should not stop consuming.
- Cherry. The cherry tomato is well known due to its small size. It is also known as a cherry tomato, it has a sweet and intense flavor, it can be found not only of characteristic red color but also more green, dark red or yellow. It is ideal for summer salads, as a side dish accompaniment.
- Pear tomato A classic of tomatoes presents a shape similar to that of a pear. They are a little elongated and sweet and not so acid. Perfect for salads or making stir-fry when they are at a high point of maturation. Within the pear tomatoes, we can find tomato Canario, Breton, Daniela, among others.
- Kumato. It is the tomato of dark red or black color, an intense color that makes it stand out always in the area of vegetables and vegetables in the market or supermarket. It is a fleshy food, its pulp is juicy and with high flavor. It is rounded and can be combined in a large number of dishes, so do not miss its color.
- Tomato Raf. A tomato very appreciated for its texture, flavor, and quality. It is synonymous with a guarantee if we want to succeed with a tomato. It appears from the crossing of different varieties of more traditional tomato. It is irregularly shaped, no Raf tomato looks like another, it has grooves on both sides. Its color is not uniform red; it has greens and darker tones. Ideal for salads and consume it raw.