Virtually no one is exempt from having bunions, we can all suffer at some time, arise regularly by the use of annoying, smaller footwear or the use of heels.
Also, the genetic factors of each one are at stake because it is something hereditary. You can live with bunions but depending on the case it will be more or less serious.
The bunions are a deformity that appears on the feet and many people suffer. We want to tell you a little about them, how they appear, how pain can be relieved, how to select the best footwear and what treatments exist.
How bunions are produced
A bulge forms in the big toe, in the articulation of the base of the finger. It is a kind of lump that appears on the side of the finger. The big toe presses against the adjacent finger and causes the joint to protrude and become larger and causing that second finger to become deformed that prevents it from being straight.
The skin is stretched causing it to become irritated and painful over time. This happens constantly if the shoes that we use are not suitable, narrow shoes or high heels that make the fingers are tighter at the tip.
It can also appear to have arthritis or for genetic and hereditary reasons.
At the first sign of having bunions, you have to correct it immediately; otherwise, your big toe will lean more and more.
Below we tell you what the common causes of having bunions are:
- Genetic factors.
- Injuries in the feet.
- Injuries or deformities at birth.
- Tight shoes
- Heeled shoes.
- Rheumatoid arthritis.
Bunions are more common in women than in men.
Pains and symptoms associated with bunions
The bunions cause intense pain on some occasions, although in other cases they do not cause pain. It will depend on each person and each case.
We tell you what the most common symptoms are:
- The protrusion in the big toe.
- Arthrosis located in a specific area.
- Swelling and inflammation around the big toe joint.
- The skin of the area becomes callused and harder.
- Redness from the bump.
- Intense and continuous pains.
- Deviation of the adjacent finger twists and does not stay straight.
- The greater amount of calluses on the feet, on the big toe and the next fingers.
- Intermittent pains
- Finger mobility is significantly reduced, especially if the bunion is large.
People suffering from bunions usually have complications when it comes to finding shoes because the big toe has undergone major changes. In addition, the pain becomes unbearable if it is not treated, in the most severe cases it must be operated.
Learn to relieve bunion pain
If you have a bunion and you do not know how to handle it, we tell you what you can do to alleviate the pain it causes you. Once the bunion has begun to develop there is no turning back. However, there are methods or treatments that can alleviate the symptoms.
Pay attention and take note of our following tips:
- Use special foam pads so that the foot is protected and the bunion also. The pain will be reduced.
- Look for wide-toe shoes and avoid narrow and narrow tips. It is essential to try on the shoes to check that it does not bother you when walking.
- Avoid using heels, use them on special occasions.
- You can use spacers that help the fingers do not mount and are straight.
- Do not perform activities that keep you standing for a long time, as well as sports that directly affect the big toe.
- You can apply ice or cold compresses to the affected area to reduce inflammation.
- Immersing the feet in warm water with bath salts helps to relax the feet. You can give yourself a massage so that the swelling disappears.
- Try to use orthotics in the most extreme cases; it will help you to alleviate the discomforts. They must be supervised by a specialist.
- There is medication indicated to avoid localized pain, also reduces inflammation, irritated area, and redness. In general, anti-inflammatory drugs such as ibuprofen are prescribed.
Select the best shoes for you
The footwear is perhaps the most important thing when you suffer from an annoying bunion; we tell you the characteristics that your shoes should meet from now on.
- Padded footwear on the inside will help absorb footprints.
- Footwear with strong but flexible soles.
- Look for leather, it is the best material since it molds to the shape of the foot and is transpiring.
- Avoid using heels and if you have to wear them, look for models not so narrow by the tip.
- Opt for comfort and not so much for the design or style, at the end of the day your feet will thank you.
Surgery to finish with the bunions definitely
People who suffer for years this chronic pain in the feet choose to have surgery to end their pain. It is a surgery that treats the deviation of the bone; they are simple operations that immediately relieve pain.
There are several techniques, as we mentioned, each case must be studied by a doctor to indicate the severity and the necessary intervention.
The bunions do not require surgical interventions in principle; however, we must take into account some issues to know when to go to the doctor to be treated by a professional:
- Continuous pain in the big toe or foot in general.
- Little mobility in the finger.
- A visible protrusion appears on the side, causing the foot to look deformed.
- Finding shoes becomes a complicated and difficult task.
- The bunions appear overnight, we have to take care of the health of our feet because they are very important in our life.
If you have constant pain and you think you can have a bunion that is making your life impossible, do not hesitate to go to a specialist, he will guide you and mark the guidelines you have to follow.