The canker sores are very uncomfortable, certainly have had any in your mouth in no time desired. They are small lesions that appear inside the mouth, sting and are painful.
We tell you why they appear, what their symptoms are and the possible treatments that we can carry out to eliminate itching and itching immediately.
The canker sores, sores or canker sores can appear at any time and anywhere in the mouth. These sores are flat lesions with the whitish center; they are usually red inside and cause pain. They originate in the mucous membranes of the mouth, and the most common site is usually the inside of the cheeks, the inner part of the lips and the base of the gums.
Canker sores are not contagious as others think, their appearance is due to several causes, which we tell you below.
Why do canker sores appear?
- The first cause is to have a deficiency of defenses in the body for a certain time.
- There is a certain genetic predisposition that increases the chances of having canker sores. All people who suffer from it if they look in their family branch will find someone suffering from sores.
- Having a small accident such as biting a lip, tongue or inside of the mouth.
- They can also appear after a visit to the dentist caused by a small accident or by wearing orthodontics.
- When we go through flu or a cold, they can also cause sores due to low defenses.
- The days before or after having your period.
- Vitamin deficiency such as vitamin C, B12 and folic acid.
- Having stress and anxiety for a season.
- Having reflux or heartburn from time to time can increase the number of canker sores.
- Have undergone aggressive oral cleaning.
- Having allergies or intolerances to certain foods.
- Viral or immunosuppressive infections.
- Being a smoker
- Hormonal imbalances
If we suffer from canker sores with some constancy, we must investigate what is the real cause to remedy it. The most common causes are those we have discussed above, however, they can be caused by other unknown causes.
Treat canker sores
Canker sores or ulcers appear without warning, and they can disappear by themselves. However, the ideal is to treat them to avoid stinging and irritation of the area. Currently, we do not find any drug that helps us eliminate canker sores at a time.
In the market, we find the following remedies:
- Rinses with anesthetics: they help numb the area so that they do not bother during our day by day.
- Medications with corticosteroids and other anti-inflammatories. Accelerate the inflammation and healing of the lesion.
- Topical treatment such as carbenoxolone, dexamethasone, triamcinolone.
- Use of antibiotics such as tetracycline or minocycline.
Tips to speed up recovery
- Do not eat spicy foods or spicy food.
- Avoid very hot foods.
- Rinse your mouth with a solution of saltwater.
- Gargle with a natural mouthwash based on sodium and water.
- Do not use any mouthwash that contains alcohol.
- You can apply hydrogen peroxide with water in the area where the canker sore is.
- Maintain proper oral hygiene so that bacteria do not cause any infection.
When should you consult your doctor?
A canker sore should not be a problem, it can be treated at home naturally and as the days go by they disappear. However, you may need help in the following steps:
Read Also: What is cellulitis infection
- The canker sore has not disappeared after 2 weeks.
- The ulcer tends to get worse instead of better.
- You have every two for three canker sores.
- When you suffer an ulcer you always have some fever, diarrhea or skin rashes.
We have to keep in mind that canker sores are not cold sores; we have to know how to differentiate it in order to treat each infection in the best way. Herpes begins as a mild blister until it becomes a scab that disappears. Being a viral infection, it must be treated with antiviral; one of the best known is acyclovir.